It is also likely there will be people whose circumstances have changed recently. These people will be keen to move home, but it imperative people move home safely.
Jacqui Harley, Head of residential conveyancing at JMP Solicitors, said: “Many have been waiting to move since the end of March when the government told homebuyers and sellers to delay completion until lockdown ends, so following the latest government advice, estate agents will soon be able to reopen offices, viewings are now permitted and removal companies can restart.”
Is the housing market able to function normally?
As the market has to adapt to the current circumstances in dealing with COVID-19, it would be wrong to say the housing market was functioning normally. Agents, vendors and buyers must adhere to the Government guidelines.
When steps can be carried out online or digitally, this is advised. However, there will be times when physical meetings must take place, and social distancing must be followed.
Vendors are encouraged to:
· Offer virtual viewings wherever possible
· Ensure their property is cleaned to the highest possible standard
· If physical viewings are taking place, vendors should vacate their premises for the duration of the viewing
Jacqui Harley also said; “As long as safety guidelines are adhered to, now is a good time to get started on the conveyancing process, and many conveyancing experts have been busy behind scenes throughout the COVID-19 lockdown to progress housing transactions. An overview of the current housing market and the current enquiries we’ve dealt with show that prices are stable and aren’t falling. To get people moving forward we’ve put together a handy list of tips to help those looking to buy and sell to get ready – allowing you to move on swiftly.”
Can removal companies practice social distancing while working?
It should be noted that a guide produced by a range of industry bodies, including the British Association of Removers (BAR) states; “Packing by the remover is currently limited to china, glass and breakable items.”
Other quick tips to bear in mind include:
· Bear in mind only then housing market in England has re-opened, markets in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland haven’t been re-opened as of yet
· Open house viewings are not currently permitted
· People who have shown symptoms of the coronavirus, or who share a home with someone who has, should delay their move and undertake a period of self-isolation
· Surveyors are subject to the same guidelines
· There is no limit on the distance people can move, as long as public health guidance is followed
We have considerable experience and expertise in the South West of London. We are ideally placed to help vendors, tenants and landlords during this challenging time. If you have any questions regarding the South West London property market, please get in touch with Holmes Estate Agents today.