020 7223 3837
108 Streatham High Road, London, SW16 1BW
020 7223 3837
108 Streatham High Road, London, SW16 1BW
estate agents
020 7223 3837
108 Streatham High Road, London, SW16 1BW

From 1 October 2015, landlords of private rental properties have been required to install carbon monoxide detectors in any room which hosts a stove, a wood burning fire or a coal burning fire. While the need for smoke alarms is well-known, there is a feeling that not as many people are aware of the importance of carbon monoxide alarms.

Landlords must have alarms in place

Due to the regulations, these are a must-have for all landlords. However, moving beyond the regulations for one moment, it is vital; to understand how vital these alarms are. A recent study, undertaken by a company called BestHeating suggests 29% of respondents don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in their property.

It is vital you have this sort of alarm because carbon monoxide is odourless and colourless, but it is also poisonous. Carbon monoxide has been referred to as the silent killer because people cannot see it, they cannot smell it, you cannot hear it and you don’t even taste it. However, it is deadly and there are around 60 deaths in England and Wales each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, thousands of people are hospitalised each year.

The same study also found 26% of respondents were unaware of the symptoms of carbon mon oxide poisoning. The symptoms are often mistaken for food poisoning, for the flu or even having a hangover.

Look out for the leading symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Anyone concerned about the impact of carbon monoxide poisoning should consider the main symptoms which include confusion, general lethargy, erratic behaviour, dizziness, breathlessness, vomiting/nausea and tension-type headaches. When you have these symptoms, it could be for any number of reasons, so it is easy to see why many people don’t automatically think it is down to carbon monoxide poisoning.

While everyone is at risk of this form of poisoning, the people who are most at risk include the elderly, the young, people with respiratory conditions and people with chronic heart conditions. It should also be noted pets are affected by this form of poisoning, but in some cases, pets can help to identify problems relating to carbon monoxide.

In some cases, cats have refused to enter a house when they sense carbon monoxide and dogs have been found to be more irritable and to suffer from a sore mouth.

John Lawless is a manager from BestHeating and he says; It’s worrying that over a quarter of Brits don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in their home as they are potentially putting their lives at risk. We urge people across the country to purchase a carbon monoxide detector and be aware of the symptoms caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.”

If you are a landlord looking to let property in South West London, please get in touch. We can arrange a property valuation, which provides you with confidence in entering the market. We can also help you connect with tenants who are looking for the property you have to offer. Contact us today to ensure you care for your rental property and tenants.

020 7223 3837
108 Streatham High Road, London, SW16 1BW
ARLA The Property Ombudsman The Property Ombudsman My Deposit Rightmove Zoopla Primelocation OnTheMarket